- Always secure a contents protection program.
- Create an inventory list of all items.
- Protect items with moving pads, sheets or light blankets.
- Label boxes or containers on all sides.
- Clear plastic containers allow you to see contents.
- Pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables.
- Do not store any food items.
- Apply furniture oil to wooden pieces before storing.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables to save space.
- Put all hardware in bags and label accordingly.
- Use paper pads when stacking furniture.
- Wrap small pictures and stand them on end in boxes.
- For larger ones, buy special picture moving boxes.
- Always store mirrors or framed pieces on end, not flat.
- Buy boxes designed for this with dividers.
- Wrap each item with paper or foam.
- Label these boxes as FRAGILE.
- Gather all the materials and supplies you need before you start: boxes, tape packing materials, markers, furniture covers and so on
Protect furniture, including mattresses and box springs
with covers designed
for the item.
Make best use of your storage area by stacking to the
ceiling, working from
heaviest items on the bottom to lightest items on top.
- Packed boxes should weigh as much as you can lift without straining - for most, that's less than 40 pounds.
- Use a wardrobe box to hang clothing, draperies and other fabricks that need to breathe and be kept crease-free.
- Can hold items from 1 room: chest of drawers, small mattress set, several boxes, chairs, desk, file cabinet and small items.
- Can hold items from studio or small 1 bedroom apartment: mattress set, sofa, dining room set, boxes.
- Can hold items from a 1 bedroom apartment: desk patio furniture, washer/dryer stacked, boxes.
- Can hold items from a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment: refrigerator, washer/dryer, patio furniture, many boxes and miscellaneous items.
- Can hold items from a 2 bedroom apartment or house: appliances, patio furniture, many boxes and extras.
- Can hold items from a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment: appliances, patio furniture, many boxes and extras.
- Can hold items from a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment: appliances, patio furniture, garage items and extras.
- Can hold items from a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment or house: appliances, patio furniture, garage items and extras.